Meet Lee Beaumont. He got tired of telemarketers interrupting his favorite tv shows, so he came up with a BRILLIANT solution to his problem. He set up a new premium phone number, through a service called Phone Pay Plus that acts as a hotline. He kept his home line private for friends and family and gave out the hotline number whenever a bank, utility or other company asked. So when telemarketers call Beaumont, they end up paying him 16 cents a minute for the privilege!! LOL! Beaumont says he tells them upfront they’re being charged, but they still give him their spiel.. Since November of 2011, he has made nearly $500 off these calls! He says he actually looks forward to the calls now and has even tweeted the number out, hoping that new telemarketers will get it. Here's a link to the BBC story for more details. I want to try this!!!
Did you know that often, a cover letter is all a job recruiter will read before they decide to even look at your resume? Experts say that's why it's really important to use your cover letter to not only get their attention, but to convince them that you are the best fit for their company and that they will be missing out if they don't talk to you. Here are five phrases that they strongly suggest that you use in your next cover letter:
1. “I am very excited to learn more about this opportunity and share how I will be a great fit for XYZ Corporation.” Strong cover letter closings are enthusiastic and confident. You want the reader to have the impression you are truly passionate about the position and working for their company. This statement will also illustrate your ability to fit into the company culture and how your personality and work ethic is exactly what they’re looking for.
2. “I believe this is a position where my passion for this industry will grow because of the XYZ opportunities you provide for your employees.” It’s always a good idea to explain what you find attractive about working for the company and how you want to bring your passions to the table. By doing this, you can illustrate how much thought you dedicated to applying for the position and how much you care about becoming a part of the company.
3. “If I am offered this position, I will be ready to hit the ground running and help XYZ Company exceed its own expectations for success.” By adding this piece to your conclusion, you will be able to add some flare and excitement to your cover letter. The reader will become intrigued by your enthusiasm to “hit the ground running.” Employers look for candidates who are prepared for the position and are easy to train. Therefore, this phrase will definitely raise some curiosity and the reader will want to discover what you have to offer for their company.
4. “I would appreciate the opportunity to meet with you to discuss how my qualifications will be beneficial to your organization’s success.” Remember, you want to make it clear in your cover letter how the employer will benefit from your experience and qualifications. You want to also express how your goal is to help the organization succeed, not how the position will contribute to your personal success.
5. “I will call you next Tuesday to follow up on my application and arrange for an interview.” The most essential part of your closing is your “call to action” statement. Remember, the purpose of your cover letter is to land an interview. Don’t end your cover letter saying you’ll hope to get in touch. Explain to the reader the exact day and how you will be contacting them. When you state you will be following up with the employer, make sure you do it!
Benefit cosmetics just unveiled a brand new commercial for their best-selling mascara, They're Real (fabulous mascara, btw). Meant to be funny and attention grabbing, it's also grabbing the attention of several groups who are outraged and say it borders on indecent. Hmmmm....do you think it goes too far?
You are looking at the "Cutest Girl Adam Levine Has Ever Seen".....he announced that to the entire crowd the came out to see Maroon 5 in NJ. Oh yeah, this was right after he gave her his guitar. Can you imagine how 11 year old, Rachel Long felt when he did that? Probably like a rock star herself! Lucky girl. So sweet for Adam to do that, too. Love him!
Katy Perry is a big fan of Sara Bareilles song, "Brave". She even shared it with all of her Twitter follers when it came out a few months ago......BUT, does she love it enough to copy it for a song on her new album? Take a listen to a mashup of the two songs together.......hmmmmmm
Everyone knows you need to be careful around a hot stove, but did you know that there are several other home appliances that cause thousands of house fires every year? The September issue of Consumer Reports magazine has a list of the 6 most dangerous ones:
Ranges Burners that turn on by themselves and delayed ignition on a gas oven’s bake and broil functions are the leading contributors to a range fire. Number of Fires: 16,824 Saftety Tip: Look for any unusual error messages on the range’s digital display. Stay in the kitchen when frying, grilling, or broiling food and be sure to keep flammable items, including oven mitts, away from the cooktop. Kids should be kept at least 3 feet from the cooking area.
Clothes Dryers Lint buildup and blockages and gas leaks on dryers that run on gas can cause fires. Number of Fires: 8,717 Safety Tip: Don’t run dryers when asleep or when no one is home. Clean out the lint filter before each load and check vents annually for clogs. If using a gas dryer, install a carbon monoxide alarm near the laundry room to warn of leaks, which are poisonous.
Microwave Ovens Units that turn on by themselves and glass doors that shatter unexpectedly can lead to a potential fire. Some microwave fire victims said that the panel flashed the code “PAN” or “F2” as self-starting began. Number of Fires: 1,705 Safety Tip: Don’t store food or other items in the microwave. Look for unusual error messages on digital display panels and if the unit goes on by itself, try to turn it off. Know where it’s plugged in and which circuit breaker controls it in case it won’t turn off using the microwave’s controls.
Refrigerators Fires can be caused by electronic components that short-circuit, control boards that overheat, or by lightbulbs that stay on when the door is shut. Number of Fires: 1,514 Safety Tip: Be aware of unusual error messages on fridges with digital displays. Check that the lightbulb goes off when the fridge is closed by pressing the switch, which is usually inside where the door closes.
Dishwashers Fires can be caused by circuit boards and heating elements catching fire, and liquid rinse aids that can leak into circuitry, creating a fire hazard. Number of Fires: 1,015 Safety Tip: Don’t run a dishwasher when asleep or when no one is home. If the rinse-aid dispenser needs constant refilling, call for a repair. Know which circuit breaker cuts power to the unit in case it starts smoking or goes up in flames.
Toasters And Toaster Ovens Two potential fire hazards are units that turn themselves on and mechanism jams while toasting. Number of Fires: 902 Safety Tip: Unplug toasters when not in use and inspect them for any frayed power cords. Don’t toast anything that doesn’t easily fit into the slot.
Have you heard about Cronuts? Part-croissant and part donut......they are the HOT food item in NYC. People will stand in line for hours to get their hands on one. Well, now you don't have to. Here's how to make cronuts at home. You're welcome. :-)
Do you love the movie, "Mean Girls"? Not as much as this guy! He can recite it.....ALL of it....in less than 30 minutes! No joke. To be honest, my ears can't keep up with him, but the little bits I can understand are legit. I want to know how much practice it took......and how many people think he's a lunatic when they overhear him showing this off. LOL!
So, Daft Punk bailed on Stephen Colbert's show. They said MTV wouldn't let them appear because they are a "surprise" at the VMAs in a couple of weeks. :-(
Well, Colbert decided that his audience deserved a performance of "Get Lucky" anyway.....so he got some help from friends like Jimmy Fallon, Matt Damon, Jeff Bridges, and Nick Cannon to make this the BEST "Get Lucky" performance ever.
A company called DataGenetics just release a disturbing study. They found that most credit card thieves can guess your PIN number within 20 tries. Scary! They also released a list of the most common PIN numbers in the U.S. If you recognize ANY of these numbers as one you are using.....change it now!
At first, you think it's just another typical Mumford & Sons video......then you realize that's actually Jason Bateman, Jason Sudekis, Will Forte, and Ed Helms doing a parody of Mumford & Sons. It really gets funny around 2:30 to 3:00 in......and the banjo scene KILLS me every time. Haha! Not too many bands would hire actors to make fun of them in their official video. LOVE that Mumford & Sons have a sense of humor about themselves!
Oscar is my name, and I'm looking forward to finding a lifelong home with people who love and respect me for who I am. Once I'm feeling safe and secure in my new home, I'll love you like no other. Getting to that point might require some...
Meet Brody! He is a sweet and older fella that can't wait to find his new best friend in life. This handsome guy is looking for a place to call his own and a companion to spend lots of time with. Brody would enjoy going places with you and...