Whether you are a brand new wine lover or already have a sophisticated palate, Thanksgiving weekend is the perfect time to visit the wineries of the Willamette Valley. This year, over 163 wineries in the Willamette Valley are opening their doors for a Wine Country Thanksgiving. You'll be able to sample wines that are hard to find, enjoy special pricing on special bottles.....and even enjoy live entertainment, gourmet food, and more! It's a great way to learn more about wine, while enjoying time with friends! My husband & I took a wine tasting adventure this weekend at JK Carriere Wines. We enjoyed some great conversation with Jim Prosser, owner & winemaker at JK Carriere.....and found some new pinots to take home for Thanksgiving. This year, the wineries of the Willamette Valley have developed a smart phone app that will help you perfectly plan your Thanksgiving Wine Country Escape. Go to www.willamettewinemap.com and scan the QR code to get: directions, hours, information, and more for over 190 Willamette Valley wineries. You can also get more info at www.willamettewines.com!
Here's a brief video overview of our visit!
Jim explains why JK Carriere features a wasp on their labels....and at the winery
Levi's says we need to stop washing our jeans to help them last longer....and to help save water (and the planet). They say in the future, water costs will make the cost of cotton (and our jeans) skyrocket!!
They say FREEZING them will kill the bacteria that causes stink! Hmmmm.....I'm skeptical. Do you think it works? Does anyone actually do this?
The British Journal of Psychology just published the findings of a study on how music affects how you taste wine.
Professor Adrian North of Herriot-Watt University gave taste tests to 250 students â half male, half female â while playing music in the background.
After five minutes the volunteers were asked to rank how much they felt the wine tasted. Their options matched the musical descriptions: powerful and heavy, subtle and refined, mellow and soft, zingy and refreshing.
The results showed the music the volunteers listened to consistently affected how they perceived the wine to taste!
Some pairing advice came out of this study: They found that for the best earthy and full-bodied Merlot taste experience, drinkers should try listening to Tom Jones....or to add a little zing to a glass of Pinot Grigio pull out the latest Lady Gaga album. What would YOUR suggested pairing be?
Turn 'em into another dessert and bring 'em to work! These would disappear SO fast around here.
Mmmmmm....candy bar cupcakes!
Candy Bar Cupcakes
4-8 of your favorite candy bars, plus 1 bag of favorite M&M's
(Twix, Payday, Reeses, Snickers, Rolo's, Baby Ruth, Butterfinger, Kit Kat, Nestle Crunch)
Crush, cut and mash into tiny pieces
Mix together in a bowl, set aside
Peanut Butter Chocolate Ganache Frosting
Â½ cup peanut butter
1 cup chopped chocolate
Â½ cup cream
Melt together over low heat, stiring constantly, until incorporated
Remove from heat and let cool
When completely cooled whip with beaters until fluffy
1 Â½ sticks softened butter
Â½ cup white sugar
Â½ cup brown sugar
Cream together until fluffy
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix together until color lightens
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 Â½ cups flour
1 Â½ cups buttermilk
Â½ cup mini chocolate chips
Stir until flour is incorporated
Pour evenly into cupcake liners, Â¾ full
Bake at F350Â°, 10-12 minutes until edges just begin to brown
Remove from oven, let cool
Frost with peanut butter chocolate ganache and top with candy bars
Haha! I have GOT to make this for dinner on Halloween. It's meatloaf that looks like a disgusting, creepy hand. Love it! It looks pretty easy to do and I think you can find hand-shaped pans at Michael's (or another cake/craft store). Here are the step by step instructions, with pics! Have fun!!!
This year, nine of Portland's talented bartenders will square off in a mixology battle royale, serving up specialty cocktails in four themed bar areas - Tiki, Portlandia, Prohibition and Sake. Attendees will have the opportunity to taste and vote on their favorite concoction, ultimately deciding which four bartenders will move on to compete for the title of Iron Bartender and impress the celebrity judges.
Competing bartenders are brought to you by the Oregon Bartenders Guild and Portland Cocktail Week. Bartenders include:
Adam Ho - Pho PDX
Angel Teta - Three Degrees
Ariana Vitale - Kask
Daniel Jacobson - Irving Street Kitchen
Emily Baker - Rum Club
Jeanette Adames-Napier - aloft Hotel
Jen Steimer - Trader Vic's
Jordan Felix - Clyde Common
Nathan Gerdes - Thatch Tiki Bar
VIP tix are sold out, but you can still get the remaining tix here and at the door
If you saw Zooey in "Elf", you know that girl can actually sing! She's got a band, "She & Him" and their fans have been bugging them to do a Christmas album for the looooonnnngest time. So they recorded one....and it's coming out Nov. 21. Here's a preview!
According to this news story, people assume they are. Crazy! I think there are certain jobs where you DON'T want to see someone who is all glammed out (EMT, Police Officer, Kennel Worker, Contruction Worker)
We had a GREAT time in the 105.1 The Buzz A-List Lounge yesterday with Hot Chelle Rae. The guys sounded great!!! They took a few minutes to update me on what's going on in their world. LOVE them and can't wait for the new album in November!!!
LA Reid called in to talk about tomorrow night's premiere of "X Factor" on Fox and we ended up talking about all sorts of stuff, including: How he discovered Rihanna and KNEW she had "it".....an Outkast reunion and new album next year....being "meaner than Simon"....and the biggest artist he let get away.....
I don't know how accurate this is, because THIS September baby is TERRIBLE at sports, science & math (ruling out pro-athlete & physicist for me). It is interesting, though. After going through census data, researchers discovered a link between your birth month and what you do for a living:
December babies will most likely grow up to be dentists.
January babies are debt collectors
Most artists are born in February
March is a good month for future pilots
April and May don't have a dominant profession
Summer months are not good for professional athletes or doctors
September is the month for pro athletes and physicists
Spring babies are at greater risk of illnesses like asthma, autism and schizophrenia :-(
Rolling Stone readers just voted on the worst songs of the 90's and I don't want to admit it.....BUT.....there's a few songs on here that I actually like. I mean, c'mon.....who doesn't have a soft spot for "Ice Ice Baby"? You know you sing along when you hear MMMBop, too! ;-)
What should be taken off this list? What else should be on here?
1) Barbie Girl - Aqua
2) Macarena - Los Del Rios
3) Achy Breaky Heart - Billy Ray Cyrus
4) Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice
5) Tubthumping - Chumbawumba
6) MMMBop - Hanson
7) My Heart Will Go On - Celine Dion
8) Who Let The Dogs Out - Baja Men
9) I'm Too Sexy - Right Said Fred
10) What's Up - 4 Non Blondes
Kjerstin Gruys is.....and, believe it or not, that includes her upcoming wedding.
She started this challenge after a stressful weekend searching for the perfect dress for her October wedding. Comparing herself to the photoshopped models got her so depressed, she became fearful that she might relapse into an eating disorder that plagued her in college, She decided to shift her focus away from outward appearances.....and get rid of her mirror....for at least a year! Read more here
THINGS WOMEN DO ON FACEBOOK THAT GUYS HATE (from MSN)
1. Use Facebook to spy on them - Ummmm....this is one of the guiltiest pleasures of Facebook, am I right, ladies?
2. Making That Duck Face - Guys claim they hate goofy face pics, especially that puckered lips, Zoolander-ish pose. I say it probably depends on how hot the girl making the duck face is. ;-)
3. Sharing too much personal info - Guys don't really like this in person, either. It makes them uncomfortable.
4. Posting "Man-Hating" Stuff - That's a tough one. "Man Hating" is so subjective. If your boyfriend cheated, you should be able to get some support from your facebook friends by posting and exposing him....but talking about it every day definitely crosses the man bashing line.
5. Posting Self-Portrait Albumsâ I think we all get annoyed by this. Show some variety in your pics! ;-)
6. Doing Premature Relationship Publicity-Guys donât like it when they just start dating someone and she changes her main profile picture to a picture of the two of them together. Itâs way too soon.
7. Showing âArtsyâ Picturesâ They don't like those pics of your feet by the pool.....or beach. I say it's just because they want to see more of you, ladies. ;-)
First of all, I have to say I HIGHLY disagree with number 1.....which I do, not because I'm getting old, but because Leonardo Dicaprio makes boring movies.....and because maybe I should have passed on that second glass of wine with dinner. ;-) I do agree with some of these though. What do you think the "Getting Old" warning signs are?
1) Falling Asleep In Front Of The TV
2) Losing Your Hair
3) Hating Noisy Bars
4) Thinking Teachers, Doctors, & Policemen Look Really Young
5) Getting More Hairy
6) Not Knowing The Top 10 Most Popular Songs
7) Forgetting Names
8 ) Choosing Clothes For Comfort, Not Style
9) Driving Slooooowwwly (SO agree with this one)
10) Complaining More
....This video! If you're a long-time HP fan, counting the minutes until tonight's premiere, you'll probably relate to the lyrics! Haha!
Enjoy.....and if you go tonight to see Deathly Hallows pt 2, make sure you call in tomorrow to tell me how it was!
Not that anyone would do that on purpose, right? ;-) Most of this is common sense, but there's some stuff I had no clue about.....like wearing red is bad?? From MSN
1. Speak Up During the Ceremonyâ Not really the time or place for you to express your reservations or revelations about either party. Pull the bride or groom aside BEFORE the big day, if there's something you really have to get off your chest.
2. Stick Your Finger in the Cakeâ Gross! Cakes are a big investment and the couple should get all the pretty pics they want before the hungry crowd wrecks it. Hands off.
3. Wear WhiteâDo not, repeat, do not wear white to someone elseâs wedding. Most brides have been looking forward to their moment in the spotlight as the only one in white. Itâs considered the ultimate guest dress no-no. The other color to avoid wearing at a wedding is bright red. Colorful tones like pinks, yellows and purples are all fair game. Just stay away from anything in the white and ivory color family.
4. Use the Wedding to Hook Up-Do you really want the whole family gossiping about your dance floor makeout session for years to come.....and we haven't even begun to talk about cell phones and youtube evidence that will outlive you.
5. Give a Roast ToastâUsually goes hand in hand with number 6 (below). You're not a comedian, so leave the jokes to the professionals and keep it short & sweet.
6. Drink Too MuchâThis is probably the most common one. Easy to do....NOT easy to live down. ;-)
7. Let the Kids Run WildâTrust me. Your kids DO NOT want to be there. You will have a much better time, too, if you leave the kids at home for the evening.
8. Spill Anything on the Bride- 'Nuff said. If you're drinking red wine or coffee or even punch, steer clear of the lady in white until you are done.
9. Hit on the Waitstaffâcompletely inappropriate and you could get hit with a harassment lawsuit.
10. Tell the DJ to Change the Musicâ It's the bride's day, right down to the music she told the dj to play. If it's not your wedding, keep your song suggestions to yourself.
You've been hearing The Band Perry's hit, "If I Die Young" on The Buzz, but did you know......they love Lady Gaga....their hit isn't really about dying.....and Neal does an AWESOME Gollum impression? That's just a little bit of what I learned about them when they invited me to hang out with them on their tour bus when they were recently here in Portland. Check out the interview and tell me what you think!
.....while on a family vacation. I'm a little surprised this beat out "having a baby" and "getting married", but if you think about it, there is a lot of stress associated with weddings and giving birth! Vacations are there to help you get rid of stress. Here's the breakdown (according to Shutterfly.com) :
Vacations (57 percent)
Birth of a child/children (49 percent)
Christmas (46 percent)
The personâs own wedding (43 percent)
Milestone birthdays (33 percent)
Not that I'm complaining (ok, maybe just a little) ....but this has been an insanely busy year for me. I'd love to treat myself to some "ME time", but I've been too busy to book it! Ha! Actually, I'm completely serious about that. When I heard that Northwest Chevy dealers were giving away $40 Spafinder.com certificates for test driving any new Chevy car or crossover, I made time to do it! Free spa time is worth it, right? Not only did I get the certificate (Yay! Free mani/pedi here I come!) ....but I was blown away by all of the COOL new features these cars have. Kristin (video below) is one of the mom bloggers, who is test driving the Chevy Equinox shows off some of those features in her video below (I also LOVE the volume control feature, which turns the radio down when you slow down).....Check out more videos and blogs on the Northwest Chevy Girls website and go test drive one yourself at a local NW Chevy dealer near you. You only have until the end of this month to get that free Spafinder certificate.
AND DON"T FORGET TO ENTER TO WIN A GETAWAY at the ALLISON INN AND SPA HERE!
I might....if I were invited to Kim Kardashian's wedding. They're one of the cheapest things on her registry! Worth every penny to get in to what has been described as "The Second Royal Wedding This Year"
According to the new book, Forever Young, by dermatologist Nicholas Perricone, eating the right foods can make you look years younger.....BUT, foods that are WHITE (like rice, pasta, white bread, etc) can cause cell inflammation that eventually wrinkles your skin. While you're pondering a future without sushi or lasagna.....here is a list of 5 foods that will make you look younger:
(Hmmmm....maybe if I have SALMON sushi, it will cancel out the rice?)
1. Sweet Potatoes
Beta-carotene, which makes these tubers orange, balances your skin's pH, helps combat dryness, and promotes cell turnover, all resulting in smoother skin.
2. Wild Salmon
The pigment that makes the fish pink, astaxanthin, is a powerful foe of free radicals, rogue molecules that damage cell membranes and DNA and cause skin to age. A study found that eating one serving every five days can prevent actinic keratosesâugly rough patches that are precancerous.
The fruit's red pigment, lycopene, is a potent antioxidant that shields skin from sun damageâlike sunscreen, but from the inside out. To best absorb lycopene, eat tomatoes with olive oil.
4. Citrus Fruits
Vitamin C is essential to building collagen, a vital component of young-looking skin, which starts breaking down in your twenties. Citrus also contains bioflavonoids, which protect skin from UV rays and help prevent cell death.
5. Leafy Greens
Spinach, kale, and other greens contain lutein, which protects skin from sun-induced inflammation and wrinkles.
First of all......GET WELL, Adele! We were all soooooo looking forward to seeing you tonight and will be there when you come back to Portland for your rescheduled concert!
I still remember the first time I saw Adele. It was before her album "19" came out and she did a small show at the Mission Theater. I had a pre-release copy of the album and thought it was good, but when I saw her do these songs live, I was blown away. This woman has a voice that will literally bring tears to your eyes. The next time she was in Portland, I asked her to come in and do a Celebrity Playlist. She was funny, charming, adorable.....and then she unleashed that gorgeous voice on this song, "Chasing Pavements". It still gives me chills. I hope you enjoy it, as well as the story behind it. - Sheryl
According to a recent survey, the first thing guys notice about a girl when they meet her for the first time....is her shoes (??really??)
This same survey says we ladies notice a woman's BOOBS first (are they SURE they didn't get the guy & girl responses switched??)
Here are the other things we girls are scoping out about our comptetition! Do you agree? Is there anything unusual you notice first?
* How big their boobs are
*How "big" the other is
*How much makeup they are wearing
*What she's wearing/fashion sense
* HAIR! (this was the number one guess today)
* Their smile/teeth
* Skin and spots
* How tall they are
* Their shoes
* What man theyâre with
According to a researcher in the UK, you can spot a cheater by their feet and what they do with them. You can also tell if someone is into you or not that same way!
The findings were made by Professor Geoff Beattie, one of Britainâs leading psychologists, who examined how people move their feet in response to different situations.
âPeople can mask smiles, or mask what they are doing with their eyes, but feet are actually a bit easier to read because people don't know what they are doing with them.
"The secret language of feet can reveal a great deal about our personality, what we think of the person we're talking to and even our emotional and psychological state, they are a fascinating channel of non-verbal communication.â
He added: âIf you are meeting someone for the first time, laughter is not necessarily a good thing â people can be laughing at you, or with you.
"If a woman's feet move when she laughs, it is one of the most powerful signals that she likes you.
"If they are crossing the feet, or crossing the legs â not good.â
If a man is nervous, he will show his feelings by increasing his foot movement. Women however, do the opposite, and keep their feet still.
Alpha males and females have a low level of leg and foot movement because they like to dominate and control the conversation and the same goes for their body.
Extroverts do likewise but for different reasons, while shy people have frequent movements.
Arrogant people also keep their bodies more in check and use less foot movement.
The research compiled on behalf of shoemakers Jeffery West also found that women judge men on their shoes â how stylish, clean, how expensive they look and whether they match an outfit.
Foot movement: the telltale signs:
Attraction: a woman shows she is attracted to a man by moving her feet away from her body, to adopt a more open-legged stance, when laughing.
Repulsion: a woman crosses her legs or keeps them tucked beneath her body to signal that she does not welcome a manâs advances.
Nervousness: men move their feet more, while women keep their feet still
Dishonesty: both sexes adopt an unnatural lack of foot movement
Well, apparently Helen Mirren (above) didn't read this article or she wouldn't be rocking a bikini at 63 (btw.....I can only dream I will look that good in a bikini at her age) So, here you go.....according to British women.....the age limit for various fashions:
THE AGE WOMEN BELIEVE YOU SHOULD STOP WEARING...
Boob Tube, 33
Belly button piercing, 35
Knee high boots, 47
Leather trousers, 34
Ugg boots, 45
Tight vest, 44
See-through chiffon blouse, 40
Long hair, 53
The Oscars are ok....but I'd rather watch the MTV Movie Awards any day. No long, boring segments about people & movies we don't care about.....just a handful of awards in categories that matter (like best fight, best villian, & best kiss) Who do you think will win? I'm putting my picks in bold
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1
Inception The Social Network
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Best Female Performance
Emma Stone, Easy A
Emma Watson, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1
Jennifer Aniston, Just Go With It
Kristen Stewart, The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (seriously??!!) Natalie Portman, Black Swan
Best Male Performance
Daniel Radcliffe, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 Jesse Eisenberg, The Social Network
Robert Pattinson, The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Taylor Lautner, The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Zac Efron, Charlie St. Cloud (hahahaha!)
Best Breakout Star
Andrew Garfield, The Social Network
ChloÃ« Grace Moretz, Kick-Ass Hailee Steinfeld, True Grit
Jay Chou, The Green Hornet
Olivia Wilde, TRON: Legacy
Xavier Samuel, The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Best Comedic Performance
Adam Sandler, Just Go With It
Ashton Kutcher, No Strings Attached Emma Stone, Easy A
Russell Brand, Get Him to the Greek
Zach Galifianakis, Due Date
Best Line From A Movie (New Category)
Alexys Nycole Sanchez, Grown Ups: 'I want to get chocolate wasted.'
Amanda Bynes and Emma Stone, Easy A: Amanda Bynes: 'There is a higher power that will judge you for your indecency.' Emma Stone: 'Tom Cruise?'
Jesse Eisenberg, The Social Network: 'If you guys were the inventors of Facebook, you'd have invented Facebook.'
Justin Timberlake and Andrew Garfield, The Social Network: Justin Timberlake: '... A million dollars isn't cool. You know what's cool?' Andrew Garfield: 'A billion dollars. And that shut everybody up.'
Tom Hardy, Inception: 'You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.'
Christoph Waltz, The Green Hornet Leighton Meester, The Roommate
Mickey Rourke, Iron Man 2
Ned Beatty, Toy Story 3
Tom Felton, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1
Best Fight Amy Adams vs. The Sisters, The Fighter
ChloÃ« Grace Moretz vs. Mark Strong, Kick-Ass
Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint vs. Death Eaters, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1
Joseph Gordon-Levitt vs. Hallway Attacker, Inception
Robert Pattinson vs. Bryce Dallas Howard and Xavier Samuel, The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Best Kiss Ellen Page and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Inception
Emma Watson and Daniel Radcliffe, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1
Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson, The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Kristen Stewart and Taylor Lautner, The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis, Black Swan
Best Jaw-Dropping Moment James Franco, 127 Hours, Cuts Off His Arm
Justin Bieber, Justin Bieber: Never Say Never, Performance Spectacular (LOL!!!)
Natalie Portman, Black Swan, Mutilation: Pulls the Skin off Her Finger
Steve-O, Jackass 3D, Port-A-Potty Bungee Stunt
Best Scared-As-Sh-- Performance Ashley Bell, The Last Exorcism
Ellen Page, Inception
Jessica Szohr, Piranha 3D
Minka Kelly, The Roommate
Ryan Reynolds, Buried
Biggest Badass Star
Alex Pettyfer, I Am Number Four
ChloÃ« Grace Moretz, Kick-Ass
Jaden Smith, The Karate Kid
Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Inception Robert Downey Jr., Iron Man 2
Women's Day Magazine published this list of 18 ways to snap out of a bad mood.....most of them look pretty easy and seem like they would work....so maybe worth a try next time you can't get out of your funk? If none of these work.....here are my personal Top 3: Smell some fresh oranges, buy & wear a new outfit, or listen to mariachi music (ok, there's one more, but you guys are not allowed to make out with my husband, ha!)
TOP 18 WAYS TO GET OUT OF A BAD MOOD (From Women's Day)
1. Start a blog. Like journaling, it gives you an outlet for your feelings. âBut it may be even better for triggering happiness because people can leave you positive comments,â says Caroline Adams Miller, coauthor of Creating Your Best Life. Begin one at Blogger.com.
2. Make up a ridiculous story. If someone is fueling your sour mood, create a goofy character in your head based on that person. âImagine an outrageous comic calamity befalling him,â says Amy Riley, a life balance consultant for Tiara Coaching in Chicago. Youâll get a good chuckle out of it.
3. Put yourself in the movies. Think of your favorite film scene, one that makes you feel great every time you see itâlike Bridget Jones kissing Mark Darcy in the snow. Now picture yourself as the main character. âEmbracing that moment triggers optimism,â says John Ryder, PhD, author of Positive Directions.
4. Soak up the sun. Go outside or stand beside a bright window and bask in the warming rays for a few minutes. Sunlight ups the level of vitamin D in your body, which in turn keeps serotonin (a feel-good hormone) high, explains Mehmet Oz, MD, coauthor of You: Being Beautiful.
6. Be on the lookout for small wonders: butterflies in your garden, an amazingly bright full moon, etc
7. Listen to your favorite upbeat song and youâll be happier in seconds.
9. Put photos of things/people you love on the fridge. We look at our refrigerator about 27 times a day, so make the most of it. âResearch shows that the happiest people have many joyful family photos displayed in their homes,â says Adams Miller.
10. Surround yourself with plants and flowers
11. Change one of your passwords (e-mail, voice mail, ATM) to a word that primes you to think in an optimistic wayâthe name of your much-loved pet, the funny nickname you call your husband, or even the word love.
12. Break out of the box. Do one small thing thatâs new and unexpected.
13. Mark your calendar. Make a note of an upcoming event that youâre looking forward to!
14. Be generous. A recent study found that when people spent as little as $5 on others, they reported greater feelings of joy.
15. Turn the negative positive. List five to 10 things that went wrong today, then read them out loud, says Riley. It may sound counterintuitive but it works: When you hear all of it togetherâyou dropped your morning bagel on the floor, noticed a new gray hair, discovered that your teen used the last of the shampooâyouâll see how minor it all is. And a little perspective goes a long way.
16. Send out good vibes. âText three friends and tell each of them one thing you like about her,â says Sonja Lyubomirsky, PhD, author of The How of Happiness. Your kind words will make them (and you) feel terrific.
17. Lend a hand. Call a local nursing home, shelter, church or charitable organization and ask how you can help. Those few minutes on the phone are all it takes to kick your spirits into high gear. Knowing that youâll soon be helping othersâand then following throughâmakes you feel good about yourself, says Susan Ouellette, a health care educator in Baltimore, Maryland.
18. Think of the good stuff. Spend a couple of minutes reflecting on your accomplishments over the past five, 10, 15 years, recommends Dan Baker, PhD, author of What Happy Women Know.
This comes from the Askmen.com website, but I don't think these things are limited to men. I still give my husband too much eye contact sometimes and it creeps him out. LOL! Can't help it.....I think he's hottt! ;-)
#1.) Accelerated Body Language. If you tend to speed up your speech pattern when nervous, make a conscious effort to slow it down on a date, because it's a dead giveaway that you are nervous (not sexy!)
#2.) Nodding Too Much. Nodding a LITTLE bit is good because it shows youâre listening, and you agree with certain things the person says. But too much nodding can make it seem like youâre NOT really listening.
#3.) Crossing Your Arms. Even in non-date situations, try to avoid this....it sends a message that you are not receptive to the person or what they are saying. Avoid it by dressing warm enough on dates!
#4.) Intense Eye Contact. Eye contact is good and sends a message of confidence, but too much can (and WILL) scare the other person
#5.) Being Too Handsy/Grabby/Touchy Feely
....although, they say it's somewhat ok IF the girl initiates it.
If you're looking for something to do this weekend, it doesn't get much cooler than good food & good conversation for a great cause. Internationally known author and filmmaker, Bill Carter, is going to be in Astoria for the annual Fisherpoets gathering. Bill will be reading from his memoir, "Red Summer", as well as showing a film based on the book. He will also be a celebrity bartender at Clemente's to raise awareness and money to help save the salmon, environment, and way of life in Bristol Bay, Alaska. Here's a link for more info.
I talked to Bill about his film, "MIss Sarajevo", as well as his relationship with Bono & U2, his passion for saving Bristol Bay, and his next project.
There's a strange feeling of deja vu I get when I watch "Portlandia". I know these are fictional characters. I know that's SNL's Fred Armisen in a wig, but sometimes I could SWEAR I've run into them at New Seasons or Stumptown. I just know angry bike guy has zipped right in front of me when I'm looking for a parking spot on NW 23rd. That says a lot about the attention to detail Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein put into this show....so eerily accurate, it almost feels like a documentary sometimes. Haha!
I jumped at the chance to chat with Fred Armisen about "Portlandia" and what he loves and finds so amusing about our city and.....well, US. He also shared a little about what he'd like to do in the upcoming season 2, which films this summer. I hope he's serious about giving me a small part. ;-) Enjoy!
According to an article on ivillage, Moms refuse to admit certain things because they are afraid people will think they are bad moms. How many of these are YOU willing to admit?
You think playing with your child is really boring.
You ignore the papers they bring home from school.
You use the TV as a babysitter waaaaay too much.
You allow your kids to watch age-inappropriate shows.
You give the kids food you would never eat yourself.
Youâre the last one to pick up your kids at the day care center.
You let your child lay in bed crying while you finish what you were doing.
And you lie to them by saying things like âWe donât have any more brownies. Daddy at the last one.â or âNo, honey, the toy store is closedâ.
That's what she told Diane Sawyer. Did you see the interview this morning on Good Morning America? What did you think? Her explanation of why she went back to Chris Brown after he beat her up was interesting. I also think she still loves him. She almost starts crying when talking about how love is blind. Sad stuff! If you didn't see it, check it out below.
I hate reading stuff like this, but it's still important to know this stuff. Not that this is any excuse to grab the potato chips instead.....BUT, your "healthy" snacks may not be doing your diet any favors. :-(
Yogurt with Granola