In A Bad Mood? Here's 18 Easy Ways To Snap Out Of It!
by Sheryl Stewart,posted Apr 12 2011 1:39PM
Women's Day Magazine published this list of 18 ways to snap out of a bad mood.....most of them look pretty easy and seem like they would work....so maybe worth a try next time you can't get out of your funk? If none of these work.....here are my personal Top 3: Smell some fresh oranges, buy & wear a new outfit, or listen to mariachi music (ok, there's one more, but you guys are not allowed to make out with my husband, ha!)
TOP 18 WAYS TO GET OUT OF A BAD MOOD (From Women's Day)
1. Start a blog. Like journaling, it gives you an outlet for your feelings. “But it may be even better for triggering happiness because people can leave you positive comments,” says Caroline Adams Miller, coauthor of Creating Your Best Life. Begin one at Blogger.com.
2. Make up a ridiculous story. If someone is fueling your sour mood, create a goofy character in your head based on that person. “Imagine an outrageous comic calamity befalling him,” says Amy Riley, a life balance consultant for Tiara Coaching in Chicago. You’ll get a good chuckle out of it.
3. Put yourself in the movies. Think of your favorite film scene, one that makes you feel great every time you see it—like Bridget Jones kissing Mark Darcy in the snow. Now picture yourself as the main character. “Embracing that moment triggers optimism,” says John Ryder, PhD, author of Positive Directions.
4. Soak up the sun. Go outside or stand beside a bright window and bask in the warming rays for a few minutes. Sunlight ups the level of vitamin D in your body, which in turn keeps serotonin (a feel-good hormone) high, explains Mehmet Oz, MD, coauthor of You: Being Beautiful.
6. Be on the lookout for small wonders: butterflies in your garden, an amazingly bright full moon, etc
7. Listen to your favorite upbeat song and you’ll be happier in seconds.
9. Put photos of things/people you love on the fridge. We look at our refrigerator about 27 times a day, so make the most of it. “Research shows that the happiest people have many joyful family photos displayed in their homes,” says Adams Miller.
10. Surround yourself with plants and flowers
11. Change one of your passwords (e-mail, voice mail, ATM) to a word that primes you to think in an optimistic way—the name of your much-loved pet, the funny nickname you call your husband, or even the word love.
12. Break out of the box. Do one small thing that’s new and unexpected.
13. Mark your calendar. Make a note of an upcoming event that you’re looking forward to!
14. Be generous. A recent study found that when people spent as little as $5 on others, they reported greater feelings of joy.
15. Turn the negative positive. List five to 10 things that went wrong today, then read them out loud, says Riley. It may sound counterintuitive but it works: When you hear all of it together—you dropped your morning bagel on the floor, noticed a new gray hair, discovered that your teen used the last of the shampoo—you’ll see how minor it all is. And a little perspective goes a long way.
16. Send out good vibes. “Text three friends and tell each of them one thing you like about her,” says Sonja Lyubomirsky, PhD, author of The How of Happiness. Your kind words will make them (and you) feel terrific.
17. Lend a hand. Call a local nursing home, shelter, church or charitable organization and ask how you can help. Those few minutes on the phone are all it takes to kick your spirits into high gear. Knowing that you’ll soon be helping others—and then following through—makes you feel good about yourself, says Susan Ouellette, a health care educator in Baltimore, Maryland.
18. Think of the good stuff. Spend a couple of minutes reflecting on your accomplishments over the past five, 10, 15 years, recommends Dan Baker, PhD, author of What Happy Women Know.
I’m at LexiDog on 6100 SW Macadam Ave. Portland, OR 97239 (503-327-8219). I romp and play all day with the other dogs in doggy daycare so I might be a great fit with your canine family members. Well hello there! Allow me to introduce...